Definition of tribalism in English:
1The state or fact of being organized in a tribe or tribes.
- Although the contemporary policy ramifications of the new push toward regionalism and this new tribalism have only been briefly touched upon in this paper, it nonetheless lays some foundations for future research.
- Kenya continues to suffer from tribalism and corruption, as well as high population growth, unemployment, political instability, and the AIDS epidemic.
- Both the Soviets and the current government have promoted his wisdom in efforts to foster nationalism over tribalism.
1.1chiefly derogatory The behavior and attitudes that stem from strong loyalty to one’s own tribe or social group: a society motivated by cultural tribalism
More example sentences
- It is religion that manifests the tribalism of human behavior most clearly.
- Our conversation returns, as they are wont to do in these circumstances, to tribalism - county rivalries.
- When they get into their bureaucratic tribe, their tribalism comes out.