Definition of triboluminescence in English:
The emission of light from a substance caused by rubbing, scratching, or similar frictional contact.
- Even today we have a limited understanding of triboluminescence and much remains to be discovered.
- The English scholar Francis Bacon observed triboluminescence as he chopped blocks of cane sugar at night in 1605.
- When the crystals are pressed or scraped with a rod, the bright green flashes of the triboluminescence will be observed.
- Example sentences
- It occurred to me, however, that triboluminescent materials, which emit light only when fractured, could offer a better approach.
- Some scientists believe that crystal structure and impurities are central to whether a material becomes triboluminescent.
- One reference states that research is underway to apply triboluminescent flashes to sense automobile crashes and inflate air bags.
Definition of triboluminescence in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan