- Large crowds were present both days to pay their final tributes and respects to Mick O'Brien.
- Replying, John thanked all for the good wishes, the tributes and the gifts.
- Many travelled long distances to join in the tributes and pay their respects.
- Ellen raised a very large family and it is a tribute to her qualities as a great family woman that all of them have gone on to do well for themselves.
- Mr Oakley said it was a tribute to the safety features built into the car that Mr McNeil was freed with only minor injuries.
- It is a tribute to the quality of his unwavering line that neither has become half as hackneyed as it should have done.
- Popular Abba tribute band Bjorn Again will be topping the bill at this year's North Wiltshire Festival 2004.
- That's what I was doing last night with some other musos, preparing for a Syd Barrett tribute night this weekend.
- Because I think benefit / tribute albums are really terrible, usually.
- Provinces won in war could later be milked of tribute to enrich the Roman state and its rulers and to buy off any risk of discontent at home.
- Aztec musicians enjoyed high social prestige and exemption from tribute payments.
- It was a hallmark of free populations not to pay tribute, fees or taxes of this sort.
- During 1867 Singleton employed a few miners on tribute working in an open cut.
- One of the first changes introduced by Vivian was to put some of the underground miners on tribute.
- The miner immediately receives his tribute or percentage for which he agreed to work.
Late Middle English (sense 2): from Latin tributum, neuter past participle (used as a noun) of tribuere 'assign' (originally 'divide between tribes'), from tribus 'tribe'.
Words that rhyme with tributeattribute, contribute
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.