Definition of tricentennial in English:
The three-hundredth anniversary of a significant event.
- Mobile is in the midst of celebrating its tricentennial, three hundred years that make it Alabama's oldest city.
- The U.S. Army abandoned its use in 1819, but it has risen again in a ten-building reconstruction near Northwestern State University that opened in 1982 as part of Louisiana's tricentennial.
- But the tricentennial, in 1792, occasioned sermons, toasts, and parades from New York to Boston.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to a three-hundredth anniversary: the tricentennial year
More example sentences
- The newly re-created Amber Room opened to the public in June 2003 for the tricentennial celebration of St. Petersburg (formerly Leningrad).
- The two companion monuments, one on each side of the Detroit River, will be dedicated in October as a crescendo to Detroit's yearlong, binational tricentennial celebration.
- We have a long road ahead of us, but think of what could be here at Hakalau Forest for the Refuge System's tricentennial celebration!
Definition of tricentennial in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.