Definition of tricentennial in English:
The three-hundredth anniversary of a significant event.
- Mobile is in the midst of celebrating its tricentennial, three hundred years that make it Alabama's oldest city.
- The U.S. Army abandoned its use in 1819, but it has risen again in a ten-building reconstruction near Northwestern State University that opened in 1982 as part of Louisiana's tricentennial.
- But the tricentennial, in 1792, occasioned sermons, toasts, and parades from New York to Boston.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to a three-hundredth anniversary: the tricentennial year
More example sentences
- The newly re-created Amber Room opened to the public in June 2003 for the tricentennial celebration of St. Petersburg (formerly Leningrad).
- The two companion monuments, one on each side of the Detroit River, will be dedicated in October as a crescendo to Detroit's yearlong, binational tricentennial celebration.
- We have a long road ahead of us, but think of what could be here at Hakalau Forest for the Refuge System's tricentennial celebration!
Definition of tricentennial in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia