Definition of trichina in English:
noun (plural trichinae-nē)
A parasitic nematode worm of humans and other mammals, the adults of which live in the small intestine. The larvae form hard cysts in the muscles, where they remain until eaten by the next host.
- Genus Trichinella, class Aphasmida (or Adenophorea)
- Countries in the European Union test each pig carcass for the presence of trichinae worms - at a cost of $576 million in 1998.
- Audits will be conducted periodically to ensure that good production practices relative to trichinae remain in place.
- A National Institute of Health report published in 1943 found 16.1% of the U. S. human population to be infected with trichinae.
Definition of trichina in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan