Definition of trichroic in English:
(Of a crystal) appearing with different colors when viewed along the three crystallographic directions.
- The trichroic mirror is a thin rectangular wedge 3 by 5 inches in dimension and 0.125 inches thick.
- Very few stones are trichroic and this is what makes tanzanites very easy to identify.
- This new trichroic prism assembly is especially useful in a compact color projector employing reflective liquid-crystal light valves.
- Example sentences
- This colour variation is pleochroism (strictly trichroism in biaxial minerals).
- Most tanzanite is treated with heat to deepen the primary colors, and this subdues the trichroism slightly.
- The cutter must orient the rough carefully, taking iolite's trichroism of blue, gray and near colorless into account.
Definition of trichroic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan