(Of a crystal) appearing with different colors when viewed along the three crystallographic directions.
More example sentences
- The trichroic mirror is a thin rectangular wedge 3 by 5 inches in dimension and 0.125 inches thick.
- Very few stones are trichroic and this is what makes tanzanites very easy to identify.
- This new trichroic prism assembly is especially useful in a compact color projector employing reflective liquid-crystal light valves.
late 19th century: from Greek trikhroos (from tri- 'three' + khrōs 'color') + -ic.
- More example sentences
- This colour variation is pleochroism (strictly trichroism in biaxial minerals).
- Most tanzanite is treated with heat to deepen the primary colors, and this subdues the trichroism slightly.
- The cutter must orient the rough carefully, taking iolite's trichroism of blue, gray and near colorless into account.
Definition of trichroic in:
- The British & World English dictionary