Definition of tricyclic in English:
(Of an organic compound) having three fused rings of atoms in its molecule.
- Quinacrine is a planar tricyclic compound with structural similarities to DMMB, yet it does not absorb red light.
- In addition, all methyl sulfone containing compounds in the tricyclic class are very poorly bioavailable.
- Clomipramine was equal to desipramine and both tricyclic agents were superior to placebo for amelioration of hyperactivity.
noun(usually tricyclics) Medicine Back to top
Any of a class of antidepressant drugs having molecules with three fused rings.
- However inspection of comparative studies in fall risk between SSRIs and tricyclics suggest these two antidepressant classes exhibit similar risks of fall.
- Over half of the prescriptions were for the class antidepressants known as tricyclics, while four out of 10 were for SSRIs.
- The most commonly prescribed antidepressant medications include the tricyclics and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.
Definition of tricyclic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan