Definition of trident in English:
1A three-pronged spear, especially as an attribute of Poseidon (Neptune) or Britannia.
- The yatras have in the past sparked clashes in Ahmedabad as Hindu devotees - armed with swords, tridents and spears - hurled anti-Muslim insults from atop chariots and trucks.
- There are also warriors armed with swords, tridents and other weapons.
- The riders bore broad kite shields for added defence, and struck out with curved scimitars and tridents.
1.1 (Trident) A US design of submarine-launched long-range ballistic missile.
- The Ohio class submarine is equipped with the Trident strategic ballistic missile.
- It's a Trident ballistic missile submarine that's home ported in Farmington, Washington.
- For the time being though, anti - capitalist activity in Scotland is focused on the Trident nuclear missile submarines at Faslane.
late Middle English: from Latin trident-, from tri- 'three' + dens, dent- 'tooth'.
Definition of trident in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan