- past and past participle of try.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
- Used in various phrases to describe something that has proved effective or reliable before: novel applications of tried-and-tested methods a tried-and-true recipeMore example sentences
- I know six or seven of the lads who have been tried and tested and the rest of the team look a good set.
- Sadly, the idea of the game has been tried and tested so many times it seems old hat now.
- The formula is a tried way of expressing satirical disaffection.