Definition of trigger hair in English:
1A hairlike structure that triggers a rapid movement when touched, in particular.
- They are being observed by Major König who spies on them from an adjoining building and is waiting for the slightest glimpse of a human target in the trigger hairs of his sights.
- Electron micrographs of the active zone of the trigger hair reveal three regions in which the cells differ in size, shape, and cytoplasmic content.
- As a result, only one internal trigger hair stimulus is required to effect rapid trap closure.
1.1 Zoology (In a coelenterate) a filament at the mouth of a nematocyst, triggering the emission of the stinging hair.
- At the narrow outer edge of the cnidocyte is a short trigger hair.
- When the trigger hair on the outside of a nematocyte is touched, a coiled thread tube inside the enclosed nematocyst is released.
1.2 Botany A bristle on the leaf of a Venus flytrap, triggering the closure of the leaf around an insect.
- The first phase of the leaf closure begins when a trigger hair is disturbed.
- The flytrap features a set of inch-long, heart-shaped capture leaves, each fringed with trigger hairs and bisected by a deep fold.
- Darwin's investigation into the biology of the Venus flytrap involved testing the sensitivity of trigger hairs.
Definition of trigger hair in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan