nounChemistry & Medicine
- An ester formed from glycerol and three fatty acid groups. Triglycerides are the main constituents of natural fats and oils, and high concentrations in the blood indicate an elevated risk of stroke.More example sentences
- Human sebaceous glands secrete a lipid mixture of mainly triglycerides, wax esters, free fatty acids, and squalene.
- Fatty acids are translated to energy by the lipases, the enzymes that break triglycerides into three fatty acids and a glycerol molecule.
- The digestion of triglycerides to fatty acids also produces these ions.
More definitions of triglycerideDefinition of triglyceride in:
- The British & World English dictionary