A tablet in a Doric frieze with three vertical grooves. Triglyphs alternate with metopes.
More example sentences
- Sansovino could have designed a rusticated flat arch for the herms to carry, or even a simple Tuscan entablature without metopes and triglyphs, but instead he chose the Doric.
- Morgan here says you find the abacus between the triglyphs in the frieze section of the entablature of classical Greek Doric temples.
- Three hours later the woodshed had acquired a doorcase in strict neoclassical style, with pilasters, triglyphs, and a cornice, and he was looking positively pleased with himself, as he rolled off up the hill to face the music.
mid 16th century: via Latin from Greek trigluphos, from tri- 'three' + gluphē 'carving'.
- More example sentences
- It was Nhàn's idea to publish a triglyphic edition of Hô Xuân Hu'o'ng's poetry with Balaban's translation of quóc-ngù into English.
- All smoothly plastered elevations were completed by a wide triglyphic frieze, with a row of kragsteins and profiled cornice above.
- Neither the triglyphic nor the monoglyphic polyps were significantly different in size from the diglyphic ones.
Definition of triglyph in:
- The British & World English dictionary