Definition of triglyph in English:
A tablet in a Doric frieze with three vertical grooves. Triglyphs alternate with metopes.
- Sansovino could have designed a rusticated flat arch for the herms to carry, or even a simple Tuscan entablature without metopes and triglyphs, but instead he chose the Doric.
- Morgan here says you find the abacus between the triglyphs in the frieze section of the entablature of classical Greek Doric temples.
- Three hours later the woodshed had acquired a doorcase in strict neoclassical style, with pilasters, triglyphs, and a cornice, and he was looking positively pleased with himself, as he rolled off up the hill to face the music.
- Example sentences
- It was Nhàn's idea to publish a triglyphic edition of Hô Xuân Hu'o'ng's poetry with Balaban's translation of quóc-ngù into English.
- All smoothly plastered elevations were completed by a wide triglyphic frieze, with a row of kragsteins and profiled cornice above.
- Neither the triglyphic nor the monoglyphic polyps were significantly different in size from the diglyphic ones.
Definition of triglyph in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan