1 (Triple Crown) An award or honor for winning a group of three important events in a sport, in particular victory by one horse in the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont Stakes.
- Based on their strong starts, seven players have a chance to make a run at the Triple Crown this season.
- At international level the national side had its best season since the glory Triple Crown days of the 1980s and at European and Celtic League levels, the Irish provinces are feared.
- And within two seasons of winning a Triple Crown in 1985, he had become ostracised by the decision-making core among the players.
2The papal tiara.
- The art book ‘Treasures of the Vatican’ has a photograph of this statue wearing vestments of gold and scarlet, and a gold triple crown that is studded with large jewels.
- The pope is most often depicted in art wearing his crown, the Tiara, called the triple crown.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: tri·ple crown
Definition of triple crown in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.