Definition of triploid in English:
1(Of a cell or nucleus) containing three homologous sets of chromosomes.
- The triploid endosperm nucleus is derived from the fusion of two polar nuclei from the female parent and one sperm nucleus from the male.
- In this type of endosperm, which is the most common in cereals, development starts with several rounds of divisions of the triploid nucleus without cytokinesis.
- The first stage, grain enlargement, involves early, rapid division of the zygote and triploid nucleus.
1.1(Of an organism or species) composed of triploid cells.
- Two samples from the original data set were omitted because one was from a triploid plant and the other from a tetraploid.
- So-called triploid fish are unable to reach maturity and so are unable to breed.
- The endosperm, a result of double fertilization in flowering plants, is a triploid tissue whose genetic composition is more complex than diploid tissue.
nounBack to top
A triploid organism, variety, or species.
- Little is known about the transition from diploidy to polyploidy but in some species, triploids are thought to function as intermediates in this transition.
- The populations showed continuous morphological variation connecting the species, but karyotypically they consisted of only three types of plants: diploids, triploids, and tetraploids.
- Moreover, the high loads of inviable or weak aneuploid pollen produced by triploids induce high selfing rates in normally self-incompatible sexual diploids.
- Example sentences
- Although triploidy and haploidy of chromosomal regions in humans often cause viable or semiviable developmental defects, it is difficult to identify regions of the genome that are haplolethal.
- In humans, 10% of spontaneous miscarriages are due to triploidy, but triploids of fish and amphibians can grow to adults and some species are even fixed in the triploid state.
- Multiple gestation, gestational trophoblastic disease, triploidy, trisomy 21 syndrome, and hydrops fetalis have been associated with an increased incidence of hyperemesis gravidarum.
Definition of triploid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.