Definition of tripwire in English:
1A wire stretched close to the ground, working a trap, explosion, or alarm when disturbed and serving to detect or prevent people or animals entering an area.
- Then attach a tripwire to the dead animal with the other end attached to a loaded shotgun.
- She's devising a plan to lay a trap for them with tripwires and a lot of tin foil - apparently they like shiny things - but she doesn't have high hopes.
- He was a genius at creating special booby traps and tripwires, all sorts of custom-made devices designed to inflict maximum pain and damage.
1.1A comparatively weak military force employed as a first line of defense, engagement with which will trigger the intervention of strong forces.
- Why is the administration proposing to abandon the long-standing tripwire function of U.S. forces in the country?
- Moreover, the troop tripwire makes it America's problem.
- Replacing the American tripwire would be expensive for the country.
Words that rhyme with tripwireBlantyre • saltire • haywire
Definition of tripwire in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan