- The person who is third in importance, after the protagonist and deuteragonist, in an ancient Greek drama.More example sentences
- At this moment it has already become clear that Sonny is the protagonist and Sal the tritagonist.
- The third actor was called the tritagonist, and he played the smaller roles in each play, usually messengers and shepherds.
- As most plays called for three speaking actors, the protagonists probably chose their own second and third players - the deuteragonist and tritagonist.
late 19th century: from Greek tritagōnistēs, from tritos 'third' + agōnistēs 'actor'.
More definitions of tritagonistDefinition of tritagonist in:
- The British & World English dictionary