Any of a group of terpenes found in plant gums and resins, having unsaturated molecules based on a unit with the formula C30H48.
More example sentences
- The leaves of the plant contain alkaloids, glycosides, triterpenes, tannins, volatile bases and probably other substances.
- Cucurbitacins are oxygenated tetracyclic triterpenes that have been shown to have emetic, antineoplastic, and cytotoxic effects on herbivores, resulting in feeding and oviposition deterrence and reduced growth of consumers.
- Terpenoids are classified according to the number of isoprene units they contain: monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes, diterpenes, triterpenes, tetraterpenes and polyterpenes.
- More example sentences
- White, red, and tree peony contain glycosides (most notably paeoniflorin), flavonoids, proanthocyanidins, tannins, terpenoids, triterpenoids, and complex polysaccharides that may all contribute to its medicinal effects.
- Indeed, triterpenoid saponins with an acyl side chain have been shown to increase membrane permeability of endothelial cells, whereas those lacking the side chain did not.
- Structurally, avicins are part of a greater family of molecules called triterpenoid saponins.
Pronunciation: /-pəˌnoid/adjective & noun
Definition of triterpene in:
- The British & World English dictionary