Definition of tritheism in English:
(In Christian theology) the doctrine of or belief in the three persons of the Trinity as three distinct gods.
- Any use of three identical human figures, although accepted by the Eastern Church in memory of Abraham's three angelic visitors, was prohibited in the West because of its suggestions of tritheism.
- According to tritheism, on the other hand, the divine persons are each distinct individual persons which are so closely related that they together count as a single thing in some fashion.
- If used to designate eternal distinctions in God, it leads to tritheism, which is a form of polytheism.
- Example sentences
- But occasionally tritheists have walked briefly onto the stage of history.
- It was probably Philoponus's effort to lay hold of this new dimension in the midst of the debates that gained for him as both a monophysite and a tritheist his condemnation.
- Though confessing Father, Son and Spirit, the tritheist does not confess the true and living God, for three distinct Gods is a totally foreign idea to Scripture.
Definition of tritheism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan