Definition of triturate in English:
verb[with object] technical
1Grind to a fine powder.
- Some triturated powders can be prepared in a lapidary tumbler, using steel balls to do the grinding.
- After 6-7 days at 28°, mosquitoes were triturated in undiluted fetal bovine serum at a concentration of 35 mosquitoes/ml serum.
- Anthracinum, which is prepared by triturating the dried puss from anthrax, is a very effective prophylactic against anthrax.
1.1Chew or grind (food) thoroughly.
- It thus seems that this is not an apparatus for crushing the food, but for expressing the liquid from the food triturated by the jaws.
- If the mandibles continuously carry out mastication, a large part of the finely triturated food items would be lost into the surrounding environment.
- This can be a risk for aspiration of triturated food prior to the swallow.
Mid 18th century: from Latin triturat- '(of corn) threshed', from tritura 'rubbing' (from the verb terere).
- Example sentences
- A blender also can be used to prepare both triturations and successions.
- The enzymatic dissociation was completed in a trypsin solution, after which individual cells were isolated from the digested tissue by trituration.
- According to contemporary investigation, the processes of succussion or trituration disturb the atomic state of a drug substance by jolting electron (negative charge) out of its orbit.
- Example sentences
- The use of modern amalgams and modern triturators has resulted in amalgams with lower initial mercury levels.
- Many of the practices in the study did not use disposable capsules or modern triturators when the study was done.
- Quite a few new triturators have been introduced to the market in the last five years.
Words that rhyme with triturateinaugurate • suppurate
Definition of triturate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan