Definition of triumphant in English:
- Each of the domes represents a battle in Ivan's triumphant war against the rebellious khan of Kazan.
- The long-awaited opening will mark the triumphant end of a battle stretching back up to four years.
- To be triumphant in the battle, you have to focus on your innate desire to be good.
- "Reason number three right there, " Faith said with a triumphant smile.
- People forgot the gloom of post-war hardships and were joyful, proud and triumphant.
- When Canada wins by one point, Joe is triumphant - Team USA humbled and shocked.
Of the two words triumphant and triumphal, the more common is triumphant, which means ‘victorious’ or ‘exultant’: she led an arduous campaign to its triumphant conclusion; he returned triumphant with a patent for his device. Triumphal means ‘used in or celebrating a triumph’: a triumphal parade.
- Example sentences
- He smiles triumphantly as he hands over my coffee, a man scoring a minuscule personal victory over global corporate policy.
- The movie generally ends with a standing ovation from your disaffected colleagues as you march triumphantly out the door.
- The article triumphantly reported that every single band member can play more than one instrument.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.