Definition of triumvirate in English:
1.1A group of three powerful or notable people or things existing in relation to each other: a triumvirate of three former executive vice presidents
More example sentences
- Finally, in the last few days, IBM, the father of PC technology, has added its corporate voice to those of this powerful triumvirate.
- He provided the balance within the ruling triumvirate, holding command over the 45,000-strong army.
- Under a ruling triumvirate, no one executive has clear control.
2The office of triumvir in ancient Rome.
- In 36, Octavian defeated Pompey's son Sextus Pompeius at Naulochus, and also ousted Lepidus from the triumvirate.
- Mark Antony has been spending his time in Egypt with his mistress, Cleopatra, and neglecting his duties as part of the triumvirate of Rome.
- In the wake of his death, three men moved forward to form a new triumvirate which would punish Caesar's assassins and then divide up the Roman world.
Words that rhyme with triumvirateduumvirate
Definition of triumvirate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.