noun (plural trochleae /-lēˌē/)Anatomy
- A structure resembling or acting like a pulley, such as the groove at the lower end of the humerus forming part of the elbow joint.More example sentences
- This notch articulates with the trochlea of the humerus to form the elbow joint.
- On the lateral aspect of the calcaneus, 20 mm posterior to the peroneal trochlea, the periosteum covering an 8 x 8 mm area was peeled, and two anchors were inserted into the calcaneus at least 8 mm apart.
- This anterior projection helps receive the trochlea of the humerus and lies in the coronoid fossa of the humerus when the elbow is flexed.
late 17th century: Latin, 'pulley'; compare with Greek trokhilia 'sheave of a pulley'.
More definitions of trochleaDefinition of trochlea in:
- The British & World English dictionary