- A bird of tropical American forests, with a long tail and brilliantly colored plumage.
More example sentences
- Family Trogonidae: several genera, in particular Trogon, and many species; the quetzals also belong to this family
- The small island was alive with wildlife: sloths, tapirs, peccaries, howler monkeys, tamarins, ocelots, blue - headed parrots, trogons and oropendolas, birds that make noises like water dropping on water.
- We also saw a citreoline trogon, a gorgeous bird with a predominantly yellow underside.
- Time and again he provoked a response, be it from a Cuban parrot, a Cuban pygmy owl, a Cuban trogon or a Cuban red-bellied woodpecker.
late 18th century: from modern Latin, from Greek trōgōn, from trōgein 'gnaw'.
More definitions of trogonDefinition of trogon in:
- The British & World English dictionary