- 1A Russian vehicle pulled by a team of three horses abreast.More example sentences
- A ride through the forests on a troika - a sleigh pulled by three horses - is a real treat.
- Chekhov recounts how his horse-driven tarantass, an uncomfortable springless carriage, almost collided with three post troikas racing in the opposite direction, drivers asleep at the reins - it was nearly a fatal collision.
- We've arranged for you a full programme of guided sightseeing and seasonal activities, including a magnificent ballet performance and a real Troika ride to make your trip an unforgettable treat for the magical New Year season!
- 1.1A team of three horses for a troika.More example sentences
- The troika of horses trotted bravely forward, and presently the bridge thundered under the combined weight of the hooves and wheels.
- 2A group of three people working together, especially in an administrative or managerial capacity.More example sentences
- The decision to suspend the country was made by the troika consisting of the President of Nigeria, the Prime Minister of Australia, and the President of South Africa.
- Indeed, this is only one example of the kind of pressure that the troika exerted on multilateral bodies.
- The leader, on taking his position as the third member of the ruling troika, made it clear that this was little more than a pipe dream as he declared himself ‘very comfortable’ with the agreement that had been reached.
Russian, from troe 'set of three'.
More definitions of troikaDefinition of troika in:
- The British & World English dictionary