1A Russian vehicle pulled by a team of three horses abreast.
- A ride through the forests on a troika - a sleigh pulled by three horses - is a real treat.
- Chekhov recounts how his horse-driven tarantass, an uncomfortable springless carriage, almost collided with three post troikas racing in the opposite direction, drivers asleep at the reins - it was nearly a fatal collision.
- We've arranged for you a full programme of guided sightseeing and seasonal activities, including a magnificent ballet performance and a real Troika ride to make your trip an unforgettable treat for the magical New Year season!
1.1A team of three horses for a troika.
- The troika of horses trotted bravely forward, and presently the bridge thundered under the combined weight of the hooves and wheels.
2A group of three people working together, especially in an administrative or managerial capacity.
- The decision to suspend the country was made by the troika consisting of the President of Nigeria, the Prime Minister of Australia, and the President of South Africa.
- Indeed, this is only one example of the kind of pressure that the troika exerted on multilateral bodies.
- The leader, on taking his position as the third member of the ruling troika, made it clear that this was little more than a pipe dream as he declared himself ‘very comfortable’ with the agreement that had been reached.
Russian, from troe 'set of three'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.