1Relating to feeding and nutrition.
- We also combined taxa into four functional groups based on known trophic positions and feeding preferences: primary producers, herbivores, bacterivores, or predators.
- The hypothesis that all sampled species form a homogeneous trophic group feeding, ‘on average,’ on the same food sources also was rejected.
- The direct effects of plant quality on omnivores is, therefore, likely to induce a trophic cascade whereby plant feeding by the omnivore ultimately benefits the plant.
1.1 Physiology (Of a hormone or its effect) stimulating the activity of another endocrine gland.
- The trophic hormones act to stimulate secretion of hormone from the target gland and to maintain its function and, if present in high concentrations, will cause the gland to enlarge.
- Furthermore, medical treatments for endometriosis act in a variety of ways to abolish the trophic effect of oestradiol on both the eutopic and ectopic endometrium.
- A highly conserved feature is that the cells of all glands respond to their respective, regulatory tropic hormone with an increase in cyclic nucleotide.
Late 19th century: from Greek trophikos, from trophē 'nourishment', from trephein 'nourish'.
Words that rhyme with trophiccatastrophic, dystrophic, philosophic, strophic, theosophic
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of trophic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.