- 1Defeat heavily in a contest: the Knicks trounced the Rockets on SundayMore example sentences
- Fylde gained ample revenge for an earlier 6-1 defeat by trouncing Arnside Reserves 10-1.
- Bury suffered their worst ever Football League Cup defeated when they were trounced 10-by West Ham.
- He jumped and travelled really well in that particular contest, as he trounced his opponent by 20 lengths.
- 1.1Rebuke or punish severely: some shows were trounced by criticsMore example sentences
- Critics trounced it, because that's what they do... they're fickle like that.
- Meanwhile, the young woman in the leather suit had trounced several of the black-clad thugs.
- On more than one occasion, a self-appointed individual would take it upon himself to give me a severe trouncing.
- More example sentences
- Again, I am not a trouncer, but I want to say I feel it's legitimate to express a concern, and being compared to McCarthyite witchhunting, if that is the incident you refer to, is not a fair analogy.
- How dare he even mention her name when he is one of the worst trouncers of human rights everywhere?
- It was a close game, and from the early exchanges to the nail-biting finish, both teams gave everything they had - South Africa giving just that little bit more than their English counterparts to run out 36-0 trouncers.
mid 16th century (also in the sense 'afflict'): of unknown origin.