Definition of trumpetfish in English:
noun (plural same or trumpetfishes)
An elongated marine fish with a long narrow snout, resembling a pipefish. It lives around reefs and rocks in tropical waters and typically hangs in a semivertical position.
- Family Aulostomidae and genus Aulostomus: several species
- Almost every day, we snorkel off a different island, dazzled by the brilliant, seemingly abundant sea life: angelfish, butterfly fish, damselfish, parrot fish, trumpetfish, schools of golden rays flying through the water.
- The parrotfish is used as a mobile camouflage screen, hiding the trumpetfish from the small reef fish on which it preys.
- Moray eels, garfish and trumpetfish were roaming and snapping at a plethora of potential prey.
Definition of trumpetfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan