Definition of tryptamine in English:
A compound, of which serotonin is a derivative, produced from tryptophan by decarboxylation.
- A heterocyclic amine; chemical formula: C8H6NCH2CH2NH
- They suggested that elevations in serotonin and tryptamine were responsible for the clinical symptoms see with this syndrome.
- The yucca phenotype derives from overexpression of a flavin monooxygenase like enzyme that oxidizes tryptamine to N-hydroxyl-tryptamine in vitro.
- Studies of this FMO-like enzyme in yucca revealed that the enzyme most likely catalyzes the oxygenation of the compound tryptamine.
Definition of tryptamine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.