- An amino acid that is a constituent of most proteins. It is an essential nutrient in the diet of vertebrates.
More example sentences
- An indole derivative; chemical formula: C8H6NCH2CH(NH2)COOH
- Key essential amino acids are valine, leucine, isoleucine, tryptophan and methionine.
- Two known enzymes catabolize the essential amino acid tryptophan in mammals.
- For example, eggs are high in alanine and methionine; whey protein is high in tryptophan and threonine.
late 19th century: from tryptic 'relating to trypsin' + Greek phainein 'appear'.
More definitions of tryptophanDefinition of tryptophan in:
- The British & World English dictionary