Definition of tuberous in English:
1 Botany Of the nature of a tuber. See tuberous root.
- Basal leaves and flowers initiate from a tuberous rhizome and three green cauline leaves arranged in a whorl form an involucre around the developing flower.
- The Arrow label covers crops such as soybeans, cotton, alfalfa, leafy tuberous and fruiting vegetables, sugar beets, peanuts, sunflowers and potatoes.
- It grows from a creeping tuberous rhizome, a root-like horizontal stem growing just below the surface of the soil.
1.1(Of a plant) having tubers or a tuberous root.
- Planting bulbous and tuberous plants under evergreen trees is not advisable.
- This tuberous perennial plant is native to southern Asia.
- Being originally a mountain plant, the tuberous begonia grows superbly in cool mountain districts like Ballarat and Erica.
2 Medicine Characterized by or affected by rounded swellings: tuberous sclerosis
More example sentences
- At some point, seizures affect 80 percent of patients with tuberous sclerosis.
- Two patients were known to have tuberous sclerosis.
- Cardiac rhabdomyomas occur in 50 percent of patients with tuberous sclerosis.
- Example sentences
- The muscle inserts onto the dorsal aspect of the tuberosity of the fifth metatarsal.
- Radiographs are usually negative; rarely, they show avulsion of the apophysis at the tibial tuberosity.
- Fractures of the greater tuberosity may be best visualized with an axillary or a Y view.
Words that rhyme with tuberousbarbarous • slumberous
Definition of tuberous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.