A deciduous North American tree with large distinctively lobed leaves and large green and orange tuliplike flowers. Also called yellow poplar.
- Liriodendron tulipifera, family Magnoliaceae
More example sentences
- The tulip tree, Liriodendron tulipifera, has a bright yellow edged form called ‘Aureomarginatum’.
- Japanese magnolia, Magnolia soulangeana, also known as tulip tree and saucer magnolia, is one of the first trees to flower in late winter, either in January or February, depending on the weather.
- The tree species included dawn redwood, ginkgo, bald cypress, and relatives of present-day sassafras, tulip tree, and magnolia.
Definition of tulip tree in:
- The British & World English dictionary