Definition of tumbleweed in English:
nounNorth American & Australian/New Zealand
A plant of dry regions that breaks off near the ground in late summer and is tumbled about by the wind, thereby dispersing its seeds.
- Genera Salsola (family Chenopodiaceae) and Amaranthus (family Amaranthaceae)
- He enters the classroom in a blinding heavenly light, to the accompaniment of whistling winds and rolling tumbleweed that usually accompanies Clint Eastwood in a spaghetti western.
- Even tumbleweed can't go on blowing down dusty streets for ever.
- Charles half expected to hear at once sharp cracks of sticks and tumbleweed, to which he would coax himself were just tree squirrels, or other creatures.
Definition of tumbleweed in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan