Definition of turbidite in English:
A sediment or rock deposited by a turbidity current.
- The Xigaze terrane incorporates a 5000-8000 m thick succession of volcaniclastic turbidites.
- Most coarse-grained clastic sediment that is deposited in turbidite basins is either derived from alluvial basins or shallow marine shelves.
- In addition, intercalated terrigenous turbidites exhibit considerable lateral variation in bed thickness.
- Example sentences
- It comprises turbiditic elastic rocks with cherts, pillow lavas and greenstones.
- These beds are commonly channelized and always exhibit erosive bases incised into underlying fine-grained turbiditic sandstones.
- The breccia is interpreted as a turbiditic debris layer, typical of the outer edge of the slope.
Definition of turbidite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan