- The state of turgidity and resulting rigidity of cells (or tissues), typically due to the absorption of fluid.More example sentences
- When cells leaked, turgor pressure irreversibly declined.
- The effect of low root temperature on the cell turgor pressure.
- Cell expansion is driven by turgor pressure, and in healthy tissues is usually limited by the extensibility of the cell wall or sometimes by the wall yield threshold.
late 19th century: from late Latin, from turgere 'to swell'.
More definitions of turgorDefinition of turgor in:
- The British & World English dictionary