Definition of turmeric in English:
1A bright yellow aromatic powder obtained from the rhizome of a plant of the ginger family, used for flavoring and coloring in Asian cooking and formerly as a fabric dye.
- American mustard, as applied to hot dogs, is generally very mild and coloured bright yellow with turmeric.
- A member of the ginger family, turmeric treats mild osteoarthritis pain and inflammation.
- White curries obtain their milky yellow color from turmeric powder and are mild and lightly spiced.
2The Asian plant from which turmeric is obtained.
- Curcuma longa, family Zingiberaceae
- The major herbs grown for use by the ministry this season include oregano, calendula, Japanese mint, German chamomile, aloe vera, eucalyptus, banana leaves and turmeric.
- The colors were made naturally from plants such as pandanus and turmeric.
- The new crop of turmeric has started arriving in the market.
Definition of turmeric in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan