Definition of turmeric in English:
1A bright yellow aromatic powder obtained from the rhizome of a plant of the ginger family, used for flavoring and coloring in Asian cooking and formerly as a fabric dye.
- American mustard, as applied to hot dogs, is generally very mild and coloured bright yellow with turmeric.
- A member of the ginger family, turmeric treats mild osteoarthritis pain and inflammation.
- White curries obtain their milky yellow color from turmeric powder and are mild and lightly spiced.
2The Asian plant from which turmeric is obtained.
- Curcuma longa, family Zingiberaceae
- The major herbs grown for use by the ministry this season include oregano, calendula, Japanese mint, German chamomile, aloe vera, eucalyptus, banana leaves and turmeric.
- The colors were made naturally from plants such as pandanus and turmeric.
- The new crop of turmeric has started arriving in the market.
Definition of turmeric in:
- British & World English dictionary