- A waterworks official responsible for turning on water at the mains.More example sentences
- On ‘water day’ the turncock of a particular neighbourhood would open the stopcock.
- In each street turncocks controlled the water, which ran for as little as one to two hours a day two or three times a week in the early days.
- Some old-stagers stuck to the ancient companies, and to the faces of familiar turncocks.
More definitions of turncockDefinition of turncock in:
- The British & World English dictionary