Definition of turnip in English:
- Besides carrots, other root vegetables include turnips, parsnips, radishes, beets and rutabagas.
- If you'd like to extend the harvest of carrots, turnips and other root vegetables, leave some in the ground to mulch as the weather gets colder.
- Buried in this dirt, which remained cool but didn't freeze in the winter - were potatoes, carrots, turnips, and other root vegetables.
- Brassica rapa, family Brassicaceae: ‘rapifera’ group
- Cabbage, cauliflower, turnips, kohlrabi and Brussels sprouts predominate, but he also grows potatoes and sugar snap peas.
- Both plants belong to the crucifer family which also includes turnip, cabbage, and mustard.
- John Hadley builds his house in 1778 from the timbers of wrecked boats, while the British blockade the port and his wife, Coral, plants turnips and sweet peas.
- Example sentences
- While I drank the turnipy tasting liquid, dozens of village boys crowded among the cots and cud-chewing cows.
- In cold weather their golden colour did not develop, and at their first flowering they were usually turnipy white.
- A pinch of sugar or a little bit of bacon helps tame their turnipy flavor.
Mid 16th century: first element of unknown origin + neep.
parsnip from Late Middle English:
Parsnip is from Old French pasnaie, from Latin pastinaca, which is related to pastinare ‘dig and trench the ground’. The change in the ending was due to association with neep, a Scots and northern English word for ‘turnip’ (Old English, from Latin napus). The form turnip appeared M16th, but the origin of the first syllable is not known.
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.