Definition of turnout in English:
1 [usually in singular] The number of people attending or taking part in an event, especially the number of people voting in an election.
- He predicted a high turnout at the general election.
- The aim of the MP who imposed the postal vote upon Yorkshire, was to increase the abysmal turnout from previous elections.
- Voter turnout for Legislative Council elections was 53 per cent in 1998 but only 44 per cent in 2000.
2North American A turn in a road.
- At a turnout by the road skirting the bay, I got out.
- At present, there's little more than a marker at a turnout from the road that runs along the broad Columbia River near a spot that was called Station Camp.
- Look out over spectacular valley views from one of several roadside turnouts - on a clear day, you can see forever.
2.1A point at which a railroad track diverges.
- At least the track chart schematically showed the position of the turnouts and the lengths of each track.
- With so many turnouts under RU's control, considerable maintenance could be avoided with this change.
- There are more than 50 turnouts and, I would guess, about eight miles of track in total.
2.2A widened place in a road for cars to pass each other or park temporarily.
- The road over Wolf Creek Pass was originally a single-lane road with short widened sections for turnouts to allow for passing.
- The other challenge with this section is a major lack of turnouts for passing, combined with blind turns that hide people coming the other way.
5 Ballet The ability to rotate the legs outward at the hips.
- A physical therapist or orthopedist can evaluate your natural turnout by manipulating your hip joints in the passive position.
- About ninety percent of turnout comes from natural anatomy.
- As in ballet, turnout is important, especially because of the crossover steps.
Words that rhyme with turnoutburnout
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan