1A greenish-blue color: [as modifier]: the turquoise waters of the bay
More example sentences
- These islands are blessed with exotic beauty of turquoise blue waters and sandy beaches.
- The turquoise water sparkled in the brilliant sunlight, dazzling the four birds as they hopped across the warm wet sand towards it.
- The cliffs drop down to secluded bays with jagged rocks and turquoise water.
2A semiprecious stone, typically opaque and of a greenish-blue or sky-blue color, consisting of a hydrated hydroxyl phosphate of copper and aluminum.
- Each exquisite creation is studded with semi precious stones like turquoise, amethyst, pearls and corals.
- Precious stones like turquoise and lapis lazuli came from the West and silk from China via Central Asia.
- The ship landed in the Land of Midian to trade corn for copper and turquoise, and there, Moses slipped away from the rest of the crew.
Late Middle English: from Old French turqueise 'Turkish (stone)'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of turquoise in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.