1Relating to Tuscany, its inhabitants, or the form of Italian spoken there, which is the standard variety taught to foreign learners.
- Along the Ligurian and Tuscan coast, Italian street vendors sell scrumptious chickpea-flour pancakes called farinate, fried in a wide pan.
- The wines themselves are standard Tuscan products: Sangiovese with Canaiolo and/or white grapes for the reds; Trebbiano (known locally as Procanico) for the whites.
- Other well-known kinds of pecorino include: • Pecorino delle Crete Senesi, a famous Tuscan variety, with an aromatic flavour derived from the presence of wormwood in the pastures.
2Relating to or denoting a classical order of architecture resembling the Doric but lacking all ornamentation.
- Sansovino could have designed a rusticated flat arch for the herms to carry, or even a simple Tuscan entablature without metopes and triglyphs, but instead he chose the Doric.
- When approaching from the public road on the north, one first sees Cane Garden's raised neoclassical portico, the triangular pediment supported by eight Tuscan columns.
- It was a three-story mansion with mahogany interiors and Tuscan columns and porches on two floors on the south and east sides.
1A native or inhabitant of Tuscany.
- We fought as Piedmontese, as Tuscans, as Neapolitans, as Romans, and not as Italians’.
- After all, in its time, Corsica has been invaded by the Phoenicians, Greeks, Etruscans, Phoceans, Carthaginians and Romans, and has been ruled over by the Papacy, the Tuscans, the Aragonese, the Genoese, the Germans and even the English.
- Little known made-up fact: the Tuscans were quite found of celebrating American Thanksgiving.
2The form of Italian spoken in Tuscany.
- The Italian literary language was derived from Tuscan, and was spoken in Tuscany and by educated Romans.
- Modeled on Xenophon's Oeconomicus and written in Tuscan, Della famiglia was an attempt to define the cultural and linguistic identity of Florence.
- By choosing to write the majority of his works in his native Tuscan, including his great work of mechanics, the Two New Sciences, he made his learning accessible to virtually anyone who was literate.
3The Tuscan order of architecture.
- And Design Observer tackles the latest unfortunate trend in Southern Californian residential design: Tuscan.
- Whimsical decorative themes run the gamut, from rustic mountain to formal Tuscan (the latter with soaring columns and a travertine-marble bathroom).
Late Middle English (as a noun denoting an Etruscan): via French from Latin Tuscanus, from Tuscus 'an Etruscan'.
Words that rhyme with TuscanEtruscan, molluscan (US molluskan)
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Tuscan in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.