noun (plural same, Twas, or Batwa /baˈtwä/)
A member of a pygmy people inhabiting parts of Burundi, Rwanda, and the Democratic Republic of Congo (formerly Zaire).
- The Maori of New Zealand, the Inuit of Canada, the Twa of Rwanda, Han ethnics from China and Tibetan exiles - all these and more sent representatives and concerns to the World Conference.
- It is believed that the Twa were the first people to inhabit the area.
- The Hutu have much in common with the other peoples of these countries, the Tutsi and the Twa.
Relating to the Twa.
- In May 2000, the Rwandan National Ballet toured the United States with Hutu, Tutsi, and Twa performers in a display of national unity.
- Similar designs are painted on large cooking pots made by Twa potters.
- The Twa people are skilled in making pottery for their own use and for the tourist market.
A local word meaning 'foreigner, outsider'.
Words that rhyme with Twaaargh, Accra, afar, ah, aha, aide-mémoire, ajar, Alcazar, are, Armagh, armoire, Artois, au revoir, baa, bah, bar, barre, bazaar, beaux-arts, Bekaa, bête noire, Bihar, bizarre, blah, Bogotá, Bonnard, bra, cafard, café noir, Calabar, car, Carr, Castlebar, catarrh, Changsha, char, charr, cigar, comme ci comme ça, commissar, coup d'état, de haut en bas, devoir, Dhofar, Directoire, Du Bois, Dumas, Dunbar, éclat, embarras de choix, escritoire, fah, famille noire, far, feu de joie, film noir, foie gras, Fra, galah, gar, guar, guitar, ha, hah, ha-ha, Halacha, hurrah, hussar, huzza, insofar, Invar, jar, je ne sais quoi, ka, kala-azar, Kandahar, khimar, Khorramshahr, knar, Krasnodar, Kwa, la-di-da, lah, Lehár, Loire, ma, mama, mamma, mar, Mardi Gras, ménage à trois, mirepoix, moire, nam pla, Navarre, noir, objet d'art, pa, pah, Panama, papa, par, Pará, Paraná, pas, pâté de foie gras, peau-de-soie, pietà, Pinot Noir, pooh-bah, poult-de-soie, pya, rah, registrar, Saar, Salazar, Sana'a, sang-froid, scar, schwa, Seychellois, shah, Shangri-La, shikar, ska, sol-fa, spa, spar, star, Starr, Stranraer, ta, tahr, tar, tartare, tata, tra-la, tsar, Villa, voilà, waratah, yah
Definition of Twa in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.