never the twain shall meet
- Used to suggest that two things are too different to coexist: Ulster people are British and Irish people are Irish, and never the twain shall meet[from Rudyard Kipling's “Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet.” (Barrack-room Ballads (1892))]More example sentences
- It was Rudyard Kipling who said, ‘east is east, west is west, and never the twain shall meet.’
- The band members sat in the Third Class carriage while the brethren of the Loyal Orange Lodge adorned the First Class carriage; never the twain shall meet.
- Each will look after their own, and never the twain shall meet.
Definition of twain in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan