Definition of twain in English:
archaic term for two. he split it in twain
- never the twain shall meet
- Used to suggest that two things are too different to coexist: Ulster people are British and Irish people are Irish, and never the twain shall meet[From Rudyard Kipling's “Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet.” (Barrack-room Ballads (1892))]More example sentences
- It was Rudyard Kipling who said, ‘east is east, west is west, and never the twain shall meet.’
- The band members sat in the Third Class carriage while the brethren of the Loyal Orange Lodge adorned the First Class carriage; never the twain shall meet.
- Each will look after their own, and never the twain shall meet.
Old English twegen, masculine of twā (see two).
Words that rhyme with twainabstain, appertain, arcane, arraign, ascertain, attain, Bahrain, bane, blain, brain, Braine, Cain, Caine, campaign, cane, cinquain, chain, champagne, champaign, Champlain, Charmaine, chicane, chow mein, cocaine, Coleraine, Coltrane, complain, constrain, contain, crane, Dane, deign, demesne, demi-mondaine, detain, disdain, domain, domaine, drain, Duane, Dwane, Elaine, entertain, entrain, explain, fain, fane, feign, gain, Germaine, germane, grain, humane, Hussein, inane, Jain, Jane, Jermaine, Kane, La Fontaine, lain, lane, legerdemain, Lorraine, main, Maine, maintain, mane, mise en scène, Montaigne, moraine, mundane, obtain, ordain, Paine, pane, pertain, plain, plane, Port-of-Spain, profane, rain, Raine, refrain, reign, rein, retain, romaine, sane, Seine, Shane, Sinn Fein, skein, slain, Spain, Spillane, sprain, stain, strain, sustain, swain, terrain, thane, train, Ujjain, Ukraine, underlain, urbane, vain, vane, vein, Verlaine, vicereine, wain, wane, Wayne
Definition of twain in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.