Definition of twayblade in English:
An orchid with a slender spike of greenish or mauve flowers and a single pair of broad leaves near the base or midway up the stem.
- Genera Listera and Liparis, family Orchidaceae: several species, including the North American heartleaf twayblade (Listera cordata) and the Eurasian common twayblade (Listera ovata)
- Less common species are meadow saxifrage, green-winged orchid, common twayblade and lesser butterfly-orchid.
- Surveys have found close to a thousand heart-leafed twayblades in the lower, wetter areas.
- The name twayblade refers to the pair of oval leaves (two blades) near the base of the plant.
Definition of twayblade in:
- British & World English dictionary