Definition of twayblade in English:
An orchid with a slender spike of greenish or mauve flowers and a single pair of broad leaves near the base or midway up the stem.
- Genera Listera and Liparis, family Orchidaceae: several species, including the North American heartleaf twayblade (Listera cordata) and the Eurasian common twayblade (Listera ovata)
- Less common species are meadow saxifrage, green-winged orchid, common twayblade and lesser butterfly-orchid.
- Surveys have found close to a thousand heart-leafed twayblades in the lower, wetter areas.
- The name twayblade refers to the pair of oval leaves (two blades) near the base of the plant.
Definition of twayblade in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan