- 1The chirp of a small or young bird.More example sentences
- Yet, this area failed to similarly activate when the animals heard a variety of other sounds - bells, tones, dog barks, bird tweets, a human voice, scrambled monkey calls, etc.
- The melodious chirps, chirrups, tweets, twitters and warbling notes from the winged visitors blend well with the incessant hum, buzz and drone of innumerable insects, to produce the effect of being inside a vast forest.
- And later still, when I ambled around the estates, listening to the sweet tweet of the birds and the occasional joy-rider, there was no nip in the air.
- 2A posting made on the social media website Twitter: he started posting tweets via his cell phone to let his parents know he was safeMore example sentences
- Outgoing chief Jonathan Schwartz announced his farewell with a haiku tweet.
- The impact of the news was especially dramatic online, with 30 per cent of Twitter's activity featuring tweets about the star.
- I'm going to show you some tweets now.
verb[no object] Back to top
- 1Make a chirping noise: the birds were tweeting in the branchesMore example sentences
- Happy birds chirped and tweeted, and a deer just barely out of sight grazed peacefully.
- Song birds tweeted in the tall trees above our heads, and swallows glided on the air, breezing above our heads.
- I discovered that I really really like my new bedroom (My mum kindly let me have her room…!) because at one in the morning I can still hear the birds tweeting gently in the trees outside my window.
- 2Make a posting on the social media website Twitter: she talks about her own life, but she’s just as likely to tweet about budget cuts and Keynesian economics [with object]: she tweeted a picture of them smiling at the camera [with clause]: he tweeted that he would be willing to take a lie detector test [with direct speech]: the president tweeted: ‘After you vote, tell your Facebook friends—“I voted.”’More example sentences
- "Thanks for all the response and input on today's incident," he tweeted.
- On Twitter, @ClarenceHouse is tweeting updates about the wedding, from the schedule of the wedding day to the hotel where she will be staying the night before.
- Celebrities were out in force this Halloween, tweeting pictures of their spookiest costumes.
- 2.1 [with object] Communicate with (someone) on Twitter: she tweeted me a couple of times earlier this weekMore example sentences
- Chad tweeted her, telling her to check the direct message he sent her.
- I tweeted him earlier with my concerns.
- He decided to call and discuss the draft with a random Cardinal fan on Twitter and several tweeted him.
mid 19th century: imitative.
More definitions of tweetDefinition of tweet in:
- The British & World English dictionary