1Rotate one’s thumbs around each other with the fingers linked together.
- ‘Well, you followed me,’ Trent pointed out with a smile, twiddling his thumbs together as he made himself more comfortable on the ground.
- ‘He says some b-b-bad things to me sometimes,’ Jamie said twiddling his thumbs together nervously.
- She began twiddling her thumbs together and staring at the wall ahead of her.
1.1Be bored or idle because one has nothing to do.
- Everyone sat around looking embarrassed and twiddling their thumbs as usual.
- If I didn't come here in the night, I'd be sitting around at home, twiddling my thumbs and thinking about going to a real bar.
- All that sitting around twiddling my thumbs, and pretty soon even the dishes seemed like an interesting option.
be idle, do nothing, kill time, waste time, hang around, stand/sit around
informal futz around
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.