Definition of two-by-four in English:
1A piece of lumber with a rectangular cross section nominally two inches by four inches.
- They picked out an odd assortment of two-by-fours and pieces of plywood and loaded it into my pickup truck.
- Level the top edge of the pond by using a carpenter's level on a straight two-by-four placed across the pond.
- We made everything out of thick plywood, two-by-fours and four-by-fours.
1.1 [usually as modifier] West Indian & US A small or insignificant thing, typically a building: they lived in a two-by-four shack of one bedroom
More example sentences
- I spend my entire life in this two-by-four shack taking care of those two kids and then you come home from work and what do you do?
Words that rhyme with two-by-fourabhor, adore, afore, anymore, ashore, awe, bandore, Bangalore, before, boar, Boer, bore, caw, chore, claw, cocksure, comprador, cor, core, corps, craw, Delors, deplore, door, draw, drawer, evermore, explore, flaw, floor, for, forbore, fore, foresaw, forevermore, forswore, four, fourscore, furthermore, Gábor, galore, gnaw, gore, grantor, guarantor, guffaw, hard-core, Haugh, haw, hoar, ignore, implore, Indore, interwar, jaw, Johor, Lahore, law, lessor, lor, lore, macaw, man-o'-war, maw, mirador, mor, more, mortgagor, Mysore, nevermore, nor, oar, obligor, offshore, onshore, open-jaw, or, ore, outdoor, outwore, paw, poor, pore, pour, rapport, raw, roar, saw, scaur, score, senhor, señor, shaw, ship-to-shore, shop-floor, shore, signor, Singapore, snore, soar, softcore, sore, spore, store, straw, swore, Tagore, tau, taw, thaw, Thor, threescore, tor, tore, torr, trapdoor, tug-of-war, underfloor, underscore, war, warrantor, Waugh, whore, withdraw, wore, yaw, yore, your
Definition of two-by-four in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.