1Having or appearing to have length and breadth but no depth.
- For example, paper might appear to be two-dimensional because it is so thin.
- A shape is a flat, two-dimensional area having only length and width.
- Assuming aggregation happens on the cell surface, we choose a two-dimensional hexagonal lattice.
1.1Lacking depth or substance; superficial: a nether world of two-dimensional heroes and villains
More example sentences
- It's very frustrating, because I get emotional invested in those two-dimensional characters.
- They are largely two-dimensional, lacking psychological definition.
- His deliberately two-dimensional characters are hilariously drawn to provide some much needed light relief to such an obviously calamitous tale.
- Example sentences
- He painted naturalistic works with elements of Cézanne's dashed surfaces, before adopting an expressive two-dimensionality before the First World War.
- The two-dimensionality of ‘manga’ often results in an overall patterning and flattening of colors and shapes, which, according to Murakami, ‘provides a parallel space in which to escape from the pressures of society.’
- They hit the ball so much harder and better than you can imagine - or than television's flat two-dimensionality can convey - that you will never again make the mistake of dismissing golf as ‘not a sport.’
- Example sentences
- When designing their gardens, most amateur landscapers direct their focus down, thinking two-dimensionally (width and depth) without taking into consideration that most plants grow - up!
- Part painting, part relief, the 14 tile works, of varying dimensions, were a departure for an artist who is best known as a sculptor, although she has also worked two-dimensionally in recent years.
- Younger artists looked for ways of either avoiding painting or, if operating two-dimensionally, of subverting it.
Words that rhyme with two-dimensionalascensional, attentional, conventional, declensional, intentional, tensional, three-dimensional
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of two-dimensional in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.