Definition of type founder in English:
A designer and maker of metal type.
- Wolfgang Endter, Der Buchdrucker, Setzer and Schriftgiesser (printer, compositor, and type founder), was entombed in 1651.
- Being a printer or a punchcutter or a type founder in those days was not necessarily a safe job.
- One of the best type founders was William A. Parkes, of 56 Sutherland Place, Wolverhampton.
type foundry noun
- Example sentences
- The Font Bureau, a Boston-based type foundry, provided typeface information for 12 of those 15 newspapers.
- As the managing director of a type foundry, he was one of the country's leading experts on typography and published a standard work on the subject, reprinted as recently as 1952.
- In 1739 he returned to St Andrews and, in 1742, he set up a type foundry.
Definition of type founder in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan