Definition of type founder in English:
A designer and maker of metal type.
- Wolfgang Endter, Der Buchdrucker, Setzer and Schriftgiesser (printer, compositor, and type founder), was entombed in 1651.
- Being a printer or a punchcutter or a type founder in those days was not necessarily a safe job.
- One of the best type founders was William A. Parkes, of 56 Sutherland Place, Wolverhampton.
- Example sentences
- The Font Bureau, a Boston-based type foundry, provided typeface information for 12 of those 15 newspapers.
- As the managing director of a type foundry, he was one of the country's leading experts on typography and published a standard work on the subject, reprinted as recently as 1952.
- In 1739 he returned to St Andrews and, in 1742, he set up a type foundry.
Pronunciation: /ˈtīp ˌfoundrē/noun
Definition of type founder in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.