Definition of tyrannosaur in English:
A very large bipedal carnivorous dinosaur of the late Cretaceous period, with powerful jaws and small clawlike front legs.
- Family Tyrannosauridae, infraorder Carnosauria, suborder Theropoda: several species, in particular Tyrannosaurus rex
- Because feathers are a unique feature, they are thought to be characteristic of many theropod dinosaurs, including tyrannosaurs.
- Most predatory dinosaurs such as tyrannosaurs and velociraptors have usually been depicted in museums, films and books as covered in a thick hide of dull brown or green skin.
- Today's bullies of the Serengeti plains, lions and spotted hyenas, were paralleled by tyrannosaurs in Jurassic and Cretaceous ecosystems.
Definition of tyrannosaur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan