Definition of tyrosine in English:
A hydrophilic amino acid that is a constituent of most proteins and is important in the synthesis of some hormones.
- Chemical formula: C6H4(OH)CH2CH(NH2)COOH
- In animal cells serine, threonine and tyrosine are the amino acids subject to phosphorylation.
- It preferentially hydrolyzes peptide bonds involving tyrosine, phenylalanine, and tryptophan.
- The most prevalent amino acid is cysteine with other major ones including tyrosine, histidine, lysine and arginine.
Mid 19th century: formed irregularly from Greek turos 'cheese' + -ine4.
Definition of tyrosine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.